LISTEN UP, THESE ARE HUGE:
1) People in general, MALE OR FEMALE, intuitively know when they are being "pursued." As soon as we know that we have something that someone else wants, the price starts to go up. Economics 101.
2) When the price starts going up (translation: she realizes that you really like her and she starts playing hard to get, making you "prove" yourself, etc.) you start to LOSE CONTROL RAPIDLY.
3) When you lose control, you have a couple of basic ways you can respond: A) Pursue her harder, giving her even MORE control OR B) Giving up. (Neither of these options sounds very good to me.)
4) An alternative is to NEVER START GIVING UP CONTROL IN THE FIRST PLACE.
5) One way to do that is to stay away from things that put a woman into the "courting" mode of thinking and behavior.
6) Asking a woman to dinner and then buying is probably the absolute most certain way to put a woman in the state of mind that she is being "pursued" (with the possible exception of stalking her, which I strongly discourage).